Spicy Chicken Cacciatore
Serving Size: shallow half tin (family meal, carryout)
- 2 lbs. Chicken Tenderloins
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 2 c. fresh cipolline onions — peeled, whole, ends trimmed
- 1/2 c. fresh garlic cloves — peeled, whole, ends trimmed
- 2 c. fresh button mushrooms — cleaned
- 1 c. fresh carrots — peeled, oblique cut, 1”
- 1/2 c. fresh celery — chopped, 1”
- 1 c. Castelvetrano olives — pitted, whole
- 1 1/2 tbsp. capers
- 1 lemon skin — julienned, approx. 1”x3” with white removed
- A pinch of chili flakes
- 1 c. red wine
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary — pulled off stem, rough chopped
- In a saucepot, heat 1/4 cup of oil and lightly pan roast cipolline onions and garlic cloves. Stir in mushrooms and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in carrots and celery, continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in olives, capers, julienned lemon skins and chili flakes. Heat for 30 seconds.
- Add wine and reduce by half. Add tomatoes, bring to a gentle simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes.
- While sauce cooks, heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season chicken to taste and brown on both sides ensuring an internal temperature of at least 165F. Reserve in hotel pan.
- After the 30 minutes, add the fresh herbs to the sauce and pour over chicken. Serve.